Impact and Shock Dynamics
Evaluating a structure's response to missile impact, aircraft crash, or bomb blasts requires that the target and the impacting objects become part of the damage computations. Such complex computation is well beyond normal design-based engineering practice – but well within our reach.
Using state-of-the-art tools and techniques, ANATECH, a Structural Integrity Associates company – provides advanced solutions to evaluate and protect safety-related structures and components exposed to extreme loading events. Our experience includes applications for aircraft and missile impact, heavy load handling accidents, and impulsive blast loads.
With expertise in impact and shock dynamics, we can establish performance parameters for structures under extreme loading, including beyond-design-basis conditions. We use an experimentally validated explicit dynamics finite element analysis code developed in-house. Our proven approach involves highly nonlinear material response and generally considers severe progressive damage and structural failure.
Our areas of expertise include the following:
- Aircraft Impact Analysis – As a contractor for EPRI/NEI after September 11, 2001, we emerged as a leader in accurately assessing structural performance due to extreme energetic loading, such as aircraft impact. We went on to research and develop new methodologies that consider vulnerabilities at nuclear power plants.
- Missile and Blast Loading – Our assessment services include the effects of missile and blast loading on bridges, tunnels, nuclear containment structures and other facilities. Unlike highly conservative missile methodology, our approach is capable of simulating energy dissipation of a deformable missile.
- Structural Hardening and Damage Mitigation – We provides analysis and engineering support to mitigate the effects of energetic impulse loading, both for new designs and retrofits.
- Containment Pressure Fragility – Using probabilistic methods and detailed finite-element modeling, we can evaluate the pressure fragility of primary containment systems for both reinforced concrete containments (RCCV) and prestressed concrete containments (PCCV).
- Severe Accidents – We accurately assesses the structural performance of nuclear structures, chemical plants and other facilities under simulated conditions of severe accidents, such as ex-vessel steam explosions and hydrogen burn.
- Terrorist Attacks – We offer a full range of services for assessing structural performance due to terrorist attacks, including identifying potential vulnerabilities, establishing structural performance, and identifying mitigation measures.
While traditional strain balance methods may calculate unrealistic or overly conservative results, our company offers a more refined solution. Our proven methodology can accurately assess not only the viability of the target, but also surrounding support structures and systems.
Our methodology is accepted by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission and recognized in NEI 07-13, ”Methodology for Performing Aircraft Impact Assessments for New Plant Designs.” Our proven approach readily translates to other applications, such as chemical plants, gas transmission, or the petroleum industry.